- No gaseous foods the whole day before. Nothing by mouth after evening meal.
- Light meal may be eaten no less than four hours prior to appointment. Drink 16 oz. clear liquid 1 hour before exam (decrease liquid amount for children). DO NOT EMPTY BLADDER AFTER DRINKING
- No gaseous foods day before exam. Nothing by mouth after evening meal. Exam will take approximately 1-1.5 hours.
- Fat free evening meal the day before. Nothing by mouth after evening meal. You may have any of the following food for an evening meal: dry toast, bread or crackers: jams, jellies or preserves; fruits or fruit juices; vegetables & vegetable soup (WITHOUT FAT); Jell-O, salads (NO DRESSING); boiled or baked potatoes (NO BUTTER). Black coffee or tea (NO CREAM).
- Two hours before exam empty bladder and drink 24 ounces of clear liquid (no orange juice or milk products) and do not empty bladder. (Decrease liquid amount for children.)
- Two hours before exam empty bladder and drink 16 ounces of clear liquid (no orange juice or milk products) and do not empty bladder.
Thyroid, Scrotum, Hernia, Breast, Carotid Duplex, Vaginal Probe, Saline Sonograms, Biopsies
- No Prep.
NOTE: There are no injections administered for any of the Ultrasound procedures except biopsies and cyst aspirations.
At any time, the patient may take medications with a sip of water.
Late Patients: Please report to Diagnostic Imaging Services at scheduled location, 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. Patients who are more than 15 minutes late may be asked to reschedule.
Unaccompanied children**: Please do not bring children with you unless they are the patient scheduled for the exam. If adult patients must bring children with them, we do ask that another adult be present to supervise.
**Children accompanying patients to observe the initial OB ultrasound exam will be the only exception.
If you have any questions, you may reach us at 301-714-4200.